Thursday, March 17, 2011

Let's Lift Heavy Things

Some WODs hit the main site that I know are going to be an absolute mess (like yesterday's for instance).  Others come up and not only are they in my wheelhaus, but I'm damned excited for them.  Today's is one of those WODs, as once again, I get a chance to lift heavy and put my squats to the test.

WOD
Overhead squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Front squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Back squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Try to increase the load on each of the 15 sets.


I knew the overhead squats were going to be a bit tricky, as I haven't done them with weight of any significance.  But needing to increase weight on every rep throughout the WOD, I knew we weren't going super-heavy on that exercise anyway.

A cool CF guy Mike was back at the gym after a while away, and he lifts in the same range as me, so we paired up for the WOD.  We started at 95 lbs and BOY the overheads were shaky from the start.  It had been long enough since I did them with weight that it might as well have been my first time on the exercise.  Occasionally I'll do 10 of them with a PVC as part of a warmup but this is a totally different ballgame.  So of course leave it to my last rep of that exercise to botch the lift and drop the bar.  Sara laughed as I was hesitant to lift the bar up off the floor, but she said "you drop it, you clean it".  Seemed safe enough...I cleaned it, set it up, and we moved onto front squats and back squats, which is much more my forte...

OH Squats: 95 – 115 – 135 – 145 – 155x
Front Squats: 165 – 175 – 185 – 195 – 205*
Back Squats: 225 – 245 – 265* – 275* – 285*

*1 Rep Max PR

Setting four PR's in the process was quite the good time.  Now I'm certain I can back squat over 300, but I'm making a slow and steady climb to my true 1-rep max.  Today's WOD wasn't the place for it, but I see it coming around the bend...should  be fun when it gets here :).

Four days in a row this week.  I'm happy to rest tomorrow and get back in the mix next week...see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment