Thursday, February 10, 2011

Might as Well JUMP!

Chalk outlines are for the weak - I leave a sweat puddle
I watched the sample video of today's WOD last night and was psyched to get into what seemed to be a classic Crossfit workout.

WOD
"Wittman"
Seven rounds for time of:
1.5 pood Kettlebell swing, 15 reps
95 pound Power clean, 15 reps
15 Box jumps, 24" box

Sara was back and I chose one of her two standard warmups, which typically call for dead-hang pullups, L-hang from the bar, and Kettle Bell swings.  Since there were 105 KBS in the WOD I chose to just focus on pullups, and I got 20 of them (broken up into sets of 5) using two resistance bands.  Elliott commented about my improvement and said I looked like I knew what I was doing. I'm glad I at least have him fooled ;).  I mixed in some shoulder rolls and shoulder dislocates with the PVC, because I was still hurting pretty good from Monday's WOD.

I had one of those mornings where I woke up in serious pain (I was tellin people I felt like I had a pain vest on), but I hoped by the time I arrived and warmed up I'd be ready to go.  That's actually how it panned out, which was great because I needed every ounce of my energy to get this one done.

I scaled as follows:

35 lb Kettle Bell
65 lb Power Clean
20" Box Jumps

As is the case with any WOD involving box jumps, I promised myself I would at least do the first round of them before switching to step-ups.  I'm still trying to be conscious of my leg, but the only pain I felt was in my quads, which were pretty shredded from Monday.  Boy was I in for a surprise.

WOD Time: 32:11

I did EVERY FUCKING BOX JUMP.  EVERY ONE. Done.  ME.  I did ALL of them. EVERY! BOX! JUMP!

This is pretty damn huge.  Not only did I finish the WOD, but I've never even done a DOZEN box jumps.  Today I did 105!!  I think all these weeks of shredding my legs is starting to reap rewards.  I struggled through the last rounds a bit, but nothing like I have in the past.  Sara felt that my choices of weight for both KBS and Cleans were too light.  I really thought I was planning ahead for the final 2-3 rounds but I think she's right.  I could've gone 50 lbs on the KBS and 75-85 on the Cleans. 

Either way I was leveled after it was done, and every inch of my clothes was drenched.  Mission accomplished I say.  We'll tighten up the weight next time.  Sara even mentioned that we should explore RX'ing the weights and paring down the reps so I get more accustomed to RX'ed weight.  We'll work on it moving forward, but for now I'm psyched that I was able to hit this one hard and finish it.

Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment