Monday, February 28, 2011

Snatch Day

Something Kevin said at the beginning of today's class was a little discouraging, albeit true.  He said that adding weight of any significance when you do an exercise like the snatch (as infrequently as Crossfitters do) will only yield bad results.  So he encouraged us to check the egos at the door, focus strictly on form today, and not worry so much about weight.  So the result was fun because I am far from a skilled Olympic lifter and I realized I needed to live those words, even though every time I walk in on a skill day I can't help but think "lift heavy".  So much for that theory...

WOD
Hang power snatch

3-3-3-3-3 reps



We did the ever-famous "Bergener Warmup" with PVC pipes to go through the complete range of motion represented in the snatch (as well as many other lifts).  After that we were on our way, starting with the bar alone, then adding minimal weight each round.

My weights were 55 - 65 - 75 - 75 - 75.

By the final set I felt myself losing it...losing the ability to safely get under the bar with the speed necessary to do the exercise properly. So not only did Kevin nail it with his class intro, but he spared me a likely bit of pain (as I'd be inclined to throw some more weight on).

I guess I should never argue with another day to recover more and come back fresh for the average Crossfit thrashing.  After doing snatches I can't say I'm nearly as cooked as I am after deadlifts, front squats or hang power cleans.  But I progressed enough to know that I hit my limit, and I guess if nothing else I have some valuable perspective when approaching the next snatch skill day.

No comments:

Post a Comment