Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Jerk...ME ON!!

I've never attempted the Push Jerk before, so I was a bit apprehensive coming into today's WOD, especially because we did Shoulder Press on Monday.  Here's the WOD:

Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Push press 3-3-3-3-3 reps
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps


We started with a warmup of two rounds of Samson Stretch, 5 "centipedes" (I think that's what Jeff called them...pushup then walk your legs up to your hands), then 10 kettle bell swings.  Then we partnered up and hit the racks.

Here are my weights:
Shoulder Press (x1) : 65 - 85 - 85 - 90 - 95
Push Press (x3) : 95 - 115 - 115 - 125 - 125
Push Jerk (x5) : 95 - 95 - 115 - 115 - 135

During the Push Jerk Sara observed my form and said it looked like it was way too easy for me, so I gained some confidence, tried more weight, and after it was done I feel like I left some weight on the table.  She says it looks like I can push jerk 165 no problem.  I guess I'll wait until next time to find out.  But I'm more than happy with where I got today, and I have to say especially for my first time I absolutely killed it on the Push Jerk sets.  I was able to tweak my form, and with some help from Jeff adjusted my grip position, and I got some really explosive reps in where I felt I was really able to get the weight up there. 

A side note on GHD situps...I was kind of bummed to miss yesterday, but I also didn't feel comfortable with going from zero GHD situps to a WOD with 90 of them.  Until today I didn't even attempt going past parallel.  So I did five of them to get the feel for the full motion.  Some guys helped me with form, and I was able to adjust and do 10 of them.  I paused after each one because the feeling was similar to what I felt when I did forward rolls a few weeks back...kind of dizzy.  The guys explained that its important to not tense the abdomen on the way back, so to bend the knees and relax on the way down, then explode up using your quads.  I look forward to throwing a handful of these into each of my morning warmups to get more comfortable with them. 

That's it for now...Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment